I lost my brother last night. He was only 62 and died from a rare form of cancer. Sadly, I was unable to say goodbye to him in person because he didn’t want any visitors. It’s hard for me to comprehend losing someone I have known my whole life. We lived in different states but talked regularly.
His wife was killed by a drunk driver 18 years ago, leaving him with a 6 and 10-year-old. He never remarried. He had a long time girlfriend who helped him tremendously during his illness. He was diagnosed in November of 2018. He was told at that time that he might have five years. Five years turned into 18 months. We were told five weeks ago that he had 3 months left. Life is extraordinarily cruel.
I have many happy memories of my brother growing up. We had drifted apart for a few years but became close again after his wife died. I’m devastated that I was unable to see him in person before he died. Near the end, he couldn’t even talk on the phone.
I’m now a part of a club I never wanted to be in, losing a sibling before their time. I have several close friends in this club.
The last time I saw my sister in law alive was in July of 2002. She and my brother and kids came to visit us. We went to a vacation destination for the weekend and had a wonderful time. We made plans to take a vacation together the following year. Sadly, my sister in law was killed after Christmas in 2002. We still went on the trip, it just wasn’t the same without Joanne.
I just wanted to see my brother and hold his hand and kiss his cheek. I was able to get him a message telling him how much I loved him. I was told he didn’t want anyone to see how terrible he looked, which was one of the reasons he didn’t want any visitors. He had lost a lot of weight. He had many friends who couldn’t say goodbye to him.
My brother was a jokester like me. He was quick-witted and could easily make people laugh. I think that’s what he’ll be remembered for.
Goodbye big brother, see you on the other side. RIP.
This was written by a friend in my book club who is a pediatrician. She makes many valid points. Definitely something to think about. Vote in November 2020!
I often get asked about novel illness and diseases that make a huge splash in the news. Fear surges and our world begins to feel a bit smaller. And we should be worried about it. Novel viruses such as Spanish Influenza infected as many as 500 million people worldwide and killed between 20-50 million people! Viruses like these can be very deadly! As the world’s population continues to rise and people live closer to animals we will continue to see these deadly viruses. And yes we are seeing them more often! We are destroying habitat that these animals live in and forcing them closer to us and these animals become our food sources as traditional American food sources are very energy and labor intense.
What can you do?
1. Support the CDC. President Trump’s budget for 2019 cut the CDCs budget by 20%. This is causing the CDC to cut 39 out of 49 programs in other countries that support epidemic prevention. Remember Ebola virus? This was effectively fought in Africa by these funds! We don’t want to wait until a virus shows up at our children’s school to try and stop it! We need to limit its spread as quickly as possible.
2. Support science. Trump once again is trying to cut NIH funding by 13%. This is where medical technology and medications are developed and tested. I know you think it’s capitalism that develops these but it’s not. Many medical advancements are funded by taxpayers before being bought or given to large companies for large scale development. It means we pay for many of these developments twice! But I digress as this is a different topic you should educate yourself on! But that new vaccine you want for Ebola, Coronavirus, or new antibiotic for the superbug we can’t kill will start out in the NIH if it has the needed funding!
3. Climate plays a big role in this! As our planet gets warmer new viruses are hitting our continent. Think of Zika virus. Its movement to the US via mosquitoes has to do with animal and pest migration that need to head towards areas with less heat and better food resources. We have other emerging viruses as well. Consider dengue, chikungunya, Nile virus, and extensively resistant TB that have begun to emerge in the US. Many physicians, including myself, have never seen these and will be woefully unprepared to diagnose or treat these. As the planet warms and animals migrate, these new and old diseases will reach our shores regardless of immigration policies. We need to actively work on limiting carbon emissions and limiting waste on a bigger scale than just in our houses. This is a world problem that the US needs to lead or at least participate in!
4. Finally destruction. We need to carefully consider what type of community, country and planet destruction we take a part in and make changes! A year or more ago I posted information about how these essential oils companies are harvesting limited precious resources in other countries causing deforestation and significant environmental changes for their magical beliefs. This is not much different than searching for the elusive rhino horn. I posted an article in November about limiting the junk we put in stockings which I did this year. I carefully thought about presents and whether they would be used long enough to make their waste in landfills worthwhile. And boy did it limit gifts! Though I was mad when phone companies stopped giving away free cellphones, I realized that this means we are holding on to those phones longer and decreasing both resource use and child labor in other countries instead of just getting the newest model!
We need to make changes as humans or the planet will do it for us! Our voting shows us where we want to devote resources. Our purchasing shows us how we will be trashing our planet over time.
Things you can do?
1. Buy local. Hoping to buy into a farm share this spring and eat local! Less food transit.
2. Think twice before buying. My husband says measure twice, cut once. Apply this to purchases.
3. Push your neighbors, friends and businesses to turn down the heat, use products multiple times before throwing out, and consider how their profit model effects more than just them.
4. Look into how your elected leaders’ actions affect not only our country but also the world. Diseases make us a small world and if we aren’t actively working with our fellow humans, we won’t get very far at protecting our children. Isolationism has never been very effective.
5. Finally, learn about science and epidemiology. You will be surprised about how scary these diseases can become. There are really smart scientists out there working on and fixing these problems but we have to help by becoming educated. This is not a Goggle search or Facebook read but ask a scientist. Subscribe to Nature or Science magazine. Read a science journal. Go to the university and ask to sit in on a lecture or join a class. Perseverating on fear won’t get you anywhere! There is a reason we didn’t shut down travel to Africa during the Ebola virus like Trump yelled for. Find out why!
The administration seems to be struggling to fill the VIP seats for Trump’s “Salute to America,” and TV networks aren’t biting, either. source https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a28292496/trump-july-4th-celebration-tickets-tv-coverage/
This is a great read. Selfie sticks need to go the bleep away!
We’ve all seen it. You arrive at the Taj Mahal or the Louvre, filled with pure anticipation to see a world-famous landmark for the first time. Yet when you finally reach the perfect spot for your long-awaited view you get hit in the head with a selfie stick. As you inch your way into the…
Hello and happy Saturday! Bed, Bath & Beyond is a housewares department store in the US. They also happen to have a huge health and beauty department. I had some coupons that were expiring today, so I headed over. Holy cow! I haven’t been to BBB for ages, and frankly forgot how awesome their health and beauty section is. They have tons of cosmetics and a great selection of all things beauty. The prices are cheap too! I am always getting 20% off coupons in the mail. Today I had store and manufacturers coupons.
Here is what I got:
I got two boxes of hair color, antiperspirant, make up brushes and an overnight lip treatment. I spent $16.17 USD. The regular price was $32 USD! Score!
I’ve been using the Burt’s Bees Overnight Lip treatment for about 6 months. It’s a great moisturizing treat for your lips. The e.l.f. brushes were $.75 cents each! The brushes are decent quality, and for less than a buck each, yes please. I’ve been using the Clairol Root Touch Up for years. It works well and is super easy to use. The color is light brown. I’m going to lowlight my hair tomorrow, wish me luck!
Hello and happy Friday! Today I am reviewing Buxom Plumpline Lip Liner-Crayon . I received this liner in either a Ipsy bag or Sephora Play. It’s available at Ulta for $17 USD. The color I got is Hush Hush which is a cinnamon color. I have so many lip products that this pencil was relegated to the nail polish bin on my dresser.
I used this for the first time a a few days ago. This liner is thicker than most pencils. It’s easy to apply and very pigmented. The best part is the attached brush. After applying you simply use the brush to smooth over your lips. It has a matte finish and be worn alone. I topped it with Laura Geller Color Luster Lip Gloss in Sugar Cane , I got in a Ipsy bag, and it’s $19 USD. It’s a peachy rose color.
So I wore this pretty lip color duo to a function on Weds. I had two drinks and never had to touch up my lips. When I got home, the liner was very intact. That was four hours after I put it on! This never happens to me. I’m not a fan of long wearing lipstick as they tend to be very drying. Both the colors are so pretty together.
on Aliventures site: Are you thinking about freelancing? I’ve known a lot of writers who spent quite a while in the “thinking” stage without moving forward. It’s very understandable. Launching a freelancing career can feel like an enormous step, and you probably want to get everything right before you begin. I was lucky, in a […]
In my career as an Esthetician I have been exposed to many different anti-aging modalities, treatments, and tools. I can tell you first hand it can be a bit overwhelming deciding which treatment to choose, especially if you are committed to living a more natural lifestyle. It seems like there is always a new treatment […]
Dear Republicans supporting the election of Judge Roy Moore of Alabama for the US Senate seat on December 12, 2017, you need to do some real soul searching.
The Republican National Committee has decided to back Judge Roy Moore’s election again after previously having withdrawn its support. It is proof that their having a republican in the US senate is more important than their knowingly backing an alleged pedophile (in his early 30s when he was a local district attorney) with credible reporting from numerous women who have come forward; mall personnel who recalled having security escort him out of the premises as he had a penchant for hitting on high school girls, and a co-worker deputy district attorney who states that Judge Moore’s penchant for dating very young girls was an open local secret in GADSDEN , Alabama.
Dear Republicans, here is a James Baldwin quote that you need…